Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Infections and a Germ-a-phobe

Well, it looks like I stopped putting Xander to breast a bit late because I was still able to contract a bacterial infection that resulted in flu-like symptoms and a call to the midwife at the hospital last night. They said anything above 100.4. I was so scared I actually had the flu or something that I was pleasantly surprised when she told me it was an infection, she's right a script for penicillin and I didn't have to stay a mile away from my lil' man. I'd been avoiding him all night in fear of making him sick.

Thankfully, the meds started working right away and by today I felt A-OK. Then I stupidly went for a mile walk with Mike (and Xander) to St Elmo's for some hot chocolate. By the time we got home I was starting to feel crappy again and, yep, the fever was back over 100. What was I thinking? I've made him promise to not let me out other than for Xander's doc appts for at least a few more days...til Saturday. I have 10 days of penicillin ahead of me. So this seems reasonable.

Also, I discovered I'm a total germ-a-phobe now. I mean, I was bad before, but taking Xander to St Elmos (the neighborhood coffee nook) made me realize how bad I really am. We were there for 25 minutes, and we'd both washed our hands twice prior to leaving. I couldn't help but think how potentially covered in germs the chair I was sitting in was, which is so not a good thought when you're trying to relax over a cup of HC. I just don't want the lil' man to get sick. I'd feel so guilty. Now, once he's walking around and "eating dirt" as Mike puts it -- well, then, it's all on him if he gets sick or not. Hopefully, I can teach him to do otherwise.

xoxo
V

No comments: