Sunday, November 1, 2009

Xander: Week 1

This is our first family photo at home. As Mike and I were grabbing breakfast at Caboose (one of our fave neighborhood breakfast places) and running a couple of errands, I kept thinking "wow, I can't believe I was in labor this time last week!" I can't believe that my little man has only been here one week because honestly, I can't imagine our home without him.

This week obviously brought with it a lot of 1sts: 1st doc visit, 1st time in the car with just mom and grandma, 1st time alone at home with just mommy or daddy (as the other ran some errands), 1st swing, 1st bouncy chair, and 1st walk around the block with mommy, daddy and Oscar (the best big brother!). Silly things, but all huge deals in momma's book. And Xander is experiencing all those 1sts like a champ.

At our 1st doc appt on Tuesday, Xander did fabulous. He was weighing 6lb 14 oz and had lost the expected bit of weight in the 1st 3 days of life. That was prior to us getting him on a regular feeding schedule, so I'm certain by our 2 week appt next Friday (Nov 6th) he will have gained it all back.

Speaking of feeding schedule, the biggest decision in the Husband household this week was the decision to exclusively pump. The little man is still on 100% breast milk but it's coming from a bottle rather than momma's boob. Can you say relief!?! His latch issues were just too much to bear and we're finding that life is so much more peaceful now that I can pump, and then me, Mike (and even my mom when she's home) can share the responsibility of feeding. And my boobs don't hurt as much. Far less crying by everyone involved. This decision took several days of back and forth contemplation because I was set on the "ideal" about how things should be...breast milk, bonding, etc. Well, Mike was quick to point out that neither he nor I were breastfed and neither of us are worse for the wear despite this early "bonding". Mike and our ped, Dr Russel (also a very logical man), are so smart.

And then the end of week 1 also brought about Halloween (another 1st and another post). As one of momma's favorite holidays, I am so excited to have my little man born so close to it. Just think of the themed birthday parties! So fun! My stepbrother's, Aaron, birthday is October 30th (speaking of which, HAPPY BIRTHDAY AARON) and he had some great costume birthday parties. And some that bring laughter everytime they get brought up around the dinner table (some of you know what I'm speaking of)! So anyhow, it's exciting.

Oh, and 1st call to the ped (well, 1st and 2nd really) in the middle of the night. On his 1st night home, we couldn't get him to latch and Mike was sweet enough to call for help in the middle of the night. Dr. Russell was logical and, while reminding us that "the goal is to feed him," led us to his first bottle feed. Then on Halloween night, I swear Xander had a low fever. 99.7 using the temporal thermometer. They said call for anything over 99.6. Since I'd been feeling a bit ill all day with a sore throat, etc, we called. I think it's probably nothing as the underarm therm had him in the 98s and the nurse said that without any other symptoms to simply call if it broke 100. It hasn't. Mike made me promise that we wouldn't become "those parents" that call the ped all the time. Whoops! ;) I think it would be very easy to become those first parents. Remind me to write a post about having a child truly is like having your heart walking (or being carried!) around outside your body with little to protect it (other than you, of course!). I've heard people reference this before but didn't truly understand it until now.

I can only imagine that we will be experiencing lots more 1sts as time goes by, and I can't wait to capture them all here and in his baby book and share them with everyone.

Lastly, we were so sad that Grandpa Tony came down sick with a cold prior to being able to come this weekend for his visit, but we can't wait to see him and Grandma Letty and Great grandma and granpa Husband over Thanksgiving!

Some more pics from the 1st week:on momma

on daddy: the "thinking man"

And just for fun, did I mention that our son has daddy's toes. Monkey toes. The ability to pick things up with them is in this kid's future! :)Behold:

No comments: