Saturday, February 21, 2009

1st Appointment


Prior to our first appt, I felt the need to reconfirm for myself that I actually was pregnant, so I took another digital pregnancy test. And there it was...a beautiful "yes+". We had our first appt yesterday at Physicians & Midwives. Mike was sweet enough to come with me even though we both knew it was super early, we wouldn't be seeing baby, etc etc. I'm grateful and love that I'll be able to share the experience so completely with him...well, all of the experience other than the pelvic exams, which he is still squimish about and had to leave the exam room for and wait in the lobby. I suppose I understand the initial hesitancy! :)

Anyway, my doc got me in so early because of a history of ovarian cysts and a sharp left-sided pelvic pain that I had last Saturday, which has continued as a consistent, dull ache. I've had this pain on and off for years, and it's always accompanied by an odd, golfball size mass on my lower abdomin. Anyway, the doc feared an ectopic pregnancy (if a cyst was blocking the ovary/tube), and so did I.

After a pelvic exam and much pushing and proding on my tubes and ovaries (nice!), the doc determined the chances of the ectopic pregnancy were low (or rather in the normal 5% range). My cervix was closed and my ute was soft...yay me! As far as he could tell all was well, albeit early. Anyway, so what is the painful, funky mass on the side of my belly then? He let me stand up and show him the mass the way I always feel for it (by throwing out my hip), and lo and behold...it's a completely unbaby-related hernia. Yay! Is it possible to be happy about a hernia? Yes. Ecstatic. Doc says we'll have to have it repaired eventually, but for now...it's staying right where it is through this pregnancy.

So...next steps. My first sonogram will be scheduled for sometime at the end of next week or the beginning of the following week. Hoping to hold out long enough that we get to see the lil' heartbeat. And my next appt with the doc is Saturday, March 7th. Yep, Saturday appts...got to love that! It'll make it much easier with Mike's work schedule. They did take blood yesterday to check for everything under the sun, including just my betas. So I'm hoping to hear back early next week that my HcG is in the right range. Doc said he'd decide when he saw the results if I needed to come back for a 2nd one. Don't really understand this since I thought the whole idea was to measure the doubling of the #s every 48 hours (or something), but he's the doc...I may ask about it on the phone though.

Lastly, no "strenuous" exercise until my next appt. Great (please note the sarcasm). I asked if this includes running and boxing (which we do 3x per week EACH) and he looked at my like I had two heads...apparently running and boxing are strenuous. He told Mike to take me for a "nice stroll"...yikes! I have decided that elliptical and low weights are not strenuous and will continue with that for now. I don't need to start looking pregnant any earlier than necessary...especially as a result of last night's General Tso's Chicken rather than actual baby-related weight. ;)

No comments: