Saturday, March 7, 2009

2nd Appointment...

and apparently still not my first official maternity appt. I'm so confused! Okay, so I guess this is strictly speaking for insurance purposes, but I find it a bit annoying...with maternity benefits, I just pay one $20 copay at my first appt and then no more until the hospital stay, which is $200/night. These last two appts have each been considered gyno appts and had a $30 copay. And I still have the $20/copay at my next appt. Boo!

This appt was fairly quick with another pelvic exam and more labs. This time they took 4 vials of blood. Nice! Have I ever told you that I have fainted before at the sight of blood? So I look away with my eyes shut the whole time. :) The doctor gave Mike and I a bunch of literature to read over before the next appt (cord blood banking, labor options, prenatal yoga, infant classes, etc) and discussed genetic testing options with us. Because I'm under 35 with no family history of genetic disorders, we'll just be doing the NT Scan (1st Trimester Screening) and then won't have to do the CVS or Amnio unless something comes back abnormal or risky from the NT Scan. I am so happy about this since the NT Scan is simply a blood test and ultrasound and does not include the same risks to baby (of miscarriage) as the CVS or Amnio.

Our next appt is not going to be until Monday, April 6th (just over 4 weeks from now) since Mike will be in Korea for 12 days at the end of March for work. The doc tries to see you every 3-4 weeks until the 26th week (and then it becomes every 2 weeks and then every week until delivery). I think Mike's trip is officially March 26th - April 5th (yes, he's getting back on my birthday). I am so excited for him (I'd love to go to Korea!), but I think much of his trip will be on a naval ship. So maybe not so fun...I don't know.

Other than the next doc appt, we're scheduling the NT Scan (ultrasound) for Friday, April 10th (11 weeks, 3 days). The test has to be done between 11 and 13 weeks, and it's recommended to do it on the early side in case you need a CVS which has to be done in the 13th week. I love the idea of Friday, April 10th because it's 2 days before Easter. We're hoping to tell family and friends (other than those who already know) about Pumpkin on Easter. So hopefully all will be well and we'll see him/her on Friday (with a strong lil' heartbeat), and then be able to spill the beans on Sunday since we'll be so close to being out of 1st tri! I can't wait!

I think we're officially out of first tri on April 24th (13 weeks, 3 days).

Off to eat some ice cream! Happy Saturday!

xoxo
V

No comments: