Friday we had HH/dinner with several of Mike's friends and a couple of their wives/girlfriends. All nice people although a few of them are "new" friends and I'm beginning to think that they may think I'm just the boring, stick in the mud wife that doesn't drink and always acts as designated driver to her Fat Jack-loving husband. I try and still be social and "cool" with my seltzer and lime, but it doesn't always work when everyone else is celebrating the weekend with a few cocktails.
Saturday we had a few close friends and our DC family over for pizza and cupcakes. We also had plenty of beer/wine and mocktails for the 4 (yes, 4) pregnant ladies at the party. Mind you, there were only 14 people at the house (including us), so more than 25% were pregnant. How times have changed! We went ahead and broke the news to our DC family and the friends who didn't know that we're expecting Baby H. Mike was very sweet and wanted to take it upon himself to come up with the way to tell them. He ended up presenting me with a birthday card from a "special someone" after the singing of "Happy Birthday", and the card's envelope was addressed to "Mommy". So sweet! I think Tia Carmen initially thought it was a card from our stinky Sierra, but Tio David figured it out for everyone. It was so nice to finally be able to share the news and excitement with everyone! Yay!
Sunday (the actual birthday) we went to church and then to Capital City Brewery. I was craving a fried chicken sandwich for my birthday, but of course, they didn't have it. So instead I ate my weekly allotment of Tuna on Sunday and had a Tuna Melt and chips. Yum! After lunch, we went to Buy Buy Baby to see about strollers and other items. I thought they carried the Stokke there, but apparently not. Only Great Beginnings in MD carries it (in our area), so we'll have to hit up one more store to test drive it prior to making our final decision. If Stokke isn't worth it, then I think we've decided on the Quinny despite the fact that it's not as high...it does get better ratings in the "Baby Bargains" book that everyone recommends.
Gifts -- well, I think I've mentioned the fetal doppler I bought myself as a birthday gift. In addition to it, my fabulous husband had already purchased me a Snoogle which is the most wonderful invention in the whole world. It's a total body pillow that just envelopes you in all the right places, and I think I'm in love. It doesn't really allow for much snuggling with the husband (or turning off the lights) once you're in it for the night, but it's providing sleeping like I haven't slept in weeks. Now if I would just stop waking up at 4am ready to start the day -- seriously! I also bought myself some Seven maternity jeans on Friday because I was fed up with the belly band. It kept pushing my jeans down (requiring readjusting) every time I sat down or bent over -- annoying! The jeans are awesome and totally cute. And will be one of my few splurges for maternity wear. Thankfully, some $$ from my mom and tio David are being applied to the purchase of these jeans (thank, y'all!), so I don't feel so guilty about the price. Also noteworthy, Dad and Letty bought me a gift certificate to Apple Seed, an awesome maternity/baby boutique in Old Town. I've browsed it but haven't shopped, and I can't wait to go back once I start to show in order to buy something super cute for summer. I also got so many other wonderful gifts from family and friends -- I'm a lucky girl!
Anyway, what a wonderful birthday!
Just for fun, pics of the snoogle in action:

No comments:
Post a Comment